Start'em or Sit'em Playoff Edition

Posted by Posted by Rich Brown On 5:17 PM

As the FF playoffs continue, I hope my advice has helped you get as far as you did. I know it didn’t help me from surviving Andre Johnson’s monster game last week. This week I pick on the Giants by mere coincidence. I never thought I would like the looks of Washington’s offense against the Giants’ D, but they have pretty much burned me personally five weeks in a row, which is odd because that’s how long the Redskins have had an offense. Enjoy.
Start ‘em
Knowshon Moreno-Denver
This coming week Moreno has a very favorable matchup at home against the Oakland Raiders. The Raiders are ranked 30 in the league against the rush this season. No other team in the league has given up more touchdowns, as Oakland allowed 20. Moreno hasn’t had a year like Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson, but he has shown to be a strong start most weeks. He is ranked 13th overall in most rushing yards in the NFL at 837 with a 4.1 yard-per-carry average.
Beanie Wells-Arizona
A banged-up Kurt Warner plus an opponent who is ranked 32nd in defense seems to equal a great opportunity for rookie Beanie Wells this week. Wells is leading the running back committee in Arizona, averaging 4.4 yards per rush while almost guaranteeing at least 1 point from receiving bonus. Wells would fit well in a flex position if you are short on receivers or a solid number two in a deeper league.
Sit ‘em
New York Giants Defense
I started the Giants defense most of the season thinking they have to reemerge as worthy of being started, but they managed to prove me wrong time and time again. Especially in the last 5 weeks. They have an interception-to-touchdown ratio of 8-2 while giving up over 250 yards per game. These numbers are familiar to their opponents this week, the Redskins, as their offense has put up over 250 yards per game and 8 passing touchdowns over the same 5 weeks. While the Giants are ranked 9th in rushing in passing defense in the NFL, they have given up 23 touchdowns this season, the 5th most of the league.
Hakeem Nicks-New York Giants
Even though Nicks had a big game against the Eagles last week, I still say sit him unless you have no other choice. Nicks is third in total receiving yards this season. He had over 100 yards last week, but it was only the second time it happened all season, and he had only 37 yards on 2 catches the week before. Yes, one of them was a touchdown, but I don’t think it will happen against the Redskins defense. The ‘Skins are 4th in the league against the pass and 22nd against the run, so look for the Giants to exploit those numbers.

By Fantasy Football Expert: Jason Timms

1 Comment

  1. Rich Brown Said,

    Sorry to hear your luck with Andre, I was on the other end, single handily allowed me to win, not to mention I had Schaub too!!

    Posted on December 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM